Monday, September 5, 2011

It's started with an Olympus Stylus


Why I love photography?

I will tell you my story.

Let's start way back in my high school days when someone from the senior guys recruited me to join an organization that trying to realize the school journalism and published our very own school paper. Starting as an aspirant contributor of out of this world 'tula' (poem in english) then jumping as a frustrated editorial cartoonist, I shifted my interest into taking pictures and called myself as a photojournalist(in our campus only).

In an era of film with a limited 12, 24 and 36 shots, well, it's very hard and costly but I was having fun. I don't have my own camera at this tme, I just borrowed it to my Aunt Marly(the younger sister of my father).


This is the Olympus Stylus film camera (image above). Small, light and compact. I consider this as a great invention during my high school days. Whenever there are school activities, I go straight to my aunt's house and borrowed her camera. I just provide the film and and it's P200 worth battery when it is empty.

During the Division High School Press Conference in our province year 2003, I first use this camera in a contest. With more than 20 schools competing in the Sports Photojournalism, some are using SLR's but most of the participants use a point and shoot film camera like me(I'm not the only one!hehehe). Since SLR is not yet popular and it was also very expensive at this time. No one care for it! Well, in the end, I humbly say, I got the 2nd place! I was qualified also to the Regional level in Tacloban City but sad to say, our school did not participate because of the financial problems and there was also no support coming from the division office. Other than that, I've also attended other contest which I bragged the first place. Not bad at all!

Until then I dream to have digital camera.

After a year of saving my personal allowance and a share of my scholarship assistance, I bought the CANON IXUS 80IS. My aunt bought it at P8,500 in Taiwan last 2008.

"Tira didto, Tira dire!" I love candid shots. Until the day came that some of the goons took it when my cousin ride on the shitty 13c route at Imus avenue, Cebu. It was destined! Then I just remember when I lost a CANON PRIMA Film Camera during the International Leaders Conference in Baybay Leyte. Not so sad! hehehe...

After all, I planned to buy a DSLR camera and the first reason is-- I want to join the SINULOG Photo Contest!

To be Continued...


5 comments: